Main navigation | Main content
Service-Learning Resource Library and Links
Our office in 240 Appleby Hall offers resources for students, faculty, and community partners interested in service-learning and community involvement. We're open Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Our Resource Library includes:
For faculty new to service-learning, we recommend these books and monographs from our Resource Library:
- the University of Minnesota's most in-depth collection of materials related to service-learning, including books on service-learning in specific disciplines, and major journals such as the Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning
- sample syllabi from University of Minnesota service-learning courses in more than 30 disciplines
- information about volunteer opportunities in some 200 Twin Cities nonprofits
- books and videos on: civic engagement, activism, community development, race, class, and gender issues
- sample reflections
- examples of Integrative Community Engagement Projects (ICEP) from graduates of the U's Community Engagement Scholars Program. These range from written reflections to photo collages to scrapbooks. Current students can view them to generate ideas for their own ICEP projects.
Recommended Links for Service-Learning Faculty:
- Introduction to Service-Learning Toolkit: Readings and Resources for Faculty
- Service-Learning Course Design Workbook
- A Practitioner's Guide to Reflection in Service-Learning: Student Voices & Reflections
- Facilitating Reflection: A Manual for Higher Education
- Sample syllabi: Our Resource Library includes sample syllabi from U of M service-learning classes in more than 30 disciplines.
- American Association for Higher Education (AAHE) series of monographs on service-learning in the disciplines (including volumes for Accounting, Biology, Communication Studies, Composition, Environmental Studies, Management, Medical Education, Nursing, Peace Studies, Philosophy, Planning and Architecture, Religious Studies, Sociology, Teacher Education, and Women's Studies)
- The National Service Learning Clearinghouse: Browse this site for bibliographies, fact sheets, service-learning syllabi, lesson plans, and project ideas, as well as access to many full-text online resources.
- Campus Compact (national office): Order Campus Compact publications; access research briefs summarizing latest findings on service-learning; search some 300 sample service-learning syllabi; find opportunities to present and/or fund your service-learning work.
- Community-Campus Partnerships for Health: Find tools and resources, including syllabi for service-learning in a variety of disciplines with a focus on the health sciences, also information about community-based participatory research and resources for faculty documenting their engaged work for promotion and tenure portfolios.