Main navigation | Main content
The Service-Learning Support We Provide
The Center for Community-Engaged Learning (formerly the Community Service-Learning Center) provides administrative support for almost all service-learning classes at the U of M, Twin Cities.
- We provide in-depth knowledge of service-learning pedagogy.
- We maintain an online system through which students log their service hours and communicate with their community organizations. We keep track of student placements and hours.
Contact Us for Assistance
Our service-learning coordinators provide guidance to U of M students and faculty. We also work with Twin Cities nonprofits interested in becoming one of our community partners.
- We develop and maintain partnerships with more than 200 Twin Cities organizations and agencies. We maintain detailed information about all of them.
- We provide trainings to help students prepare for their community work and get as much out of it as possible.
- We support students throughout their community work. Designated service-learning coordinators help students maneuver the process and maintain their commitments.
- We help U of M faculty add service-learning components to existing or new syllabi. We help faculty identify organizations and projects that connect to their course objectives.
- We identify and approach faculty to suggest service-learning components for classes.
- We develop new community partnerships based on the needs and interests of faculty members.
- We maintain a Service-Learning Library. This resource is available to service-learning students, faculty and community partners.
- We organize community panels for service-learning classes. This means we arrange for community organizations to come to every individual service-learning class to tell students about their mission and opportunities.
- We trouble-shoot any problems that arise. We provide conflict resolution, mediate when there are issues of concern, and maintain liability forms.
- We manage students' post-class evaluations and share them with the faculty and community partners involved.
- We promote the benefits of service-learning throughout the U of M and nation-wide.